Thursday, September 1, 2011

With Cleaned Out Nests - The Finch is Back

That's right.  I'm looking at you!
It's never easy going back to work or school after a lazy summer retreat.  I have been watching the calendar dreading looking forward to this day.  Time to get back to work.  Time to get back to The Finch.  Time to get back on track.  Time to up the ante.  Time to...well, you get the idea.

Blooming now out back.
We all need time off to re-charge our minds, or senses, our creativity.  This past month has been just that...time away to clear my mind, step back and re-examine.  A few of my closest friends could sense that I was contemplating walking away from my blog.  I got a few emails of encouragement from them.  I could almost sense their nail biting nervousness that I would do such a thing.  After all, I have poured my heart and soul into this blog for 6 months and to walk away, would just be an abomination. Right?  Well, truth is....I was contemplating just that.  In the end, I decided not to walk away, but to tweak the parts that just were not working for me.  I needed to, like I did in my finch aviary, clean out the nests!

Some changes needed to be made.  Instead of the pressure of posting each and everyday, I will post several times a week.  For someone like myself who is incapable of posting anything that I personally do not think is top drawer, posting everyday had become a chore.  It takes time to develop ideas, do the work necessary to implement them and then to write about them.  I need the space to breath. 

Taken on a recent stop at
Pier One.
Second, I am making the commitment to considerably cut down the time I spend promoting The Homeless Finch.  It is stunning the time it takes to promote a blog.  Followers just don't find you, you have to find them!  I spend hours upon hours a week, linking my posts.  I have gotten seriously good at doing this at lightning speed, but it's not seamless...believe me.  So, I guess I won't have a huge following like many out there.  I can live with that.  I like the followers I already have!  Ultimately, the purpose of this blog was to help inspire my studio work and give me a place to share while creating a mechanism of accountability. 
Should I buy this?
Cute little guy at Pier One.

Going forward, you might be seeing some subtle changes, like more 'chirps' and 'muses' than project after project reveals.  I think that changing this up might produce even more yummy stuff for me to share with you guys.  I am also hoping (fingers crossed) that I am FINALLY going to have the time to 'get back to the canvas!'  It's been too long.  I need to develop a body of work.  No more excuses.

So.....Welcome back!! Happy Almost Autumn!  I have a ton of nifty things going on in my studio and I can't wait to show you all of it.  I have several projects in the works.  Lots of inspiration throughout the Fall and Holiday season.  So let's get our feathers in gear, Finch Followers!  We got work to do!

-The End-

5 comments:

Twice Nice said...

Glad to see you back and it sounds like you have a good clear vision of where you are going here! It's good to get the monkey off your back sometimes...even if we invited him up there initially! Deb

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Glad you're back, and hope you're able to make your blog work for YOU and not the other way around! I'm still working on that myself ;-)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Welcome back Lesley. I'm glad you were able to find the right path for you. I did indeed sense your contemplation, and I'm happy you're still with us.

Unknown said...

good to hear I will always follow you my friend
(via the blog-0-sphere)
I too do not post every day but I try to hang in there and at least do a post once a week or two a week
Hugs
KAT

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Hi Lesley... glad you didn't leave the blogosphere... you would be missed! I don't know how you were doing a daily post. Some weeks I can't get one written :) Hope you're able to find a comfortable pace that works for you! Now... get painting!! That is something I WISH I knew how to do!