Thursday, December 15, 2011

25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Series: Day 15

Upcycle Sweater Stockings

In blog post #5 of my 25 Day Christmas and Holiday Series entitled Upcycle Sweater Sleeve Wine Gift Bags, I showed you how to make super cool wine bottle gift bags out of sweater sleeves.  One of my friends commented that she was sure that the rest of the sweater was not going to go to waste and she was correct!  No waste here at The Homeless Finch!

 My hubby and I have never had stockings.  We always just had stockings for the kids.  I wanted to put together something for him and I.  Here is what I did...

I took the leftover sweaters and using my daughter's stocking as a template, cut out two new stockings, one red and one green from the body of the two sweaters.

Some key tips... I backed the template up to the seam of the sweater under the armpit area so that part of the sewing was already done for me.  Additionally, I made sure to utilize the nicely finished edges on the bottom of the sweater for the top of the stocking.  It's nice to use a sweater for these reasons.  So much of the work is done before you even start cutting out the stocking!
I used green heavy duty Signature thread and simply sewed the seam using about an inch seam allowance.  Sweaters are an open weave and you have to make sure and not have too shallow a seam allowance.

I did the same with the red sweater and this is what they looked like at this point.

For the loop, I cut out the finished edge where the sweater buttons together and simply hot glued the cut seam down, folding it over twice to get a nice edge. 
I then attached it with needle and thread to the stocking and added a button to create the appearance that the button was functional.  I used red thread for contrast on the button.

I decided to fashion the accents for these stockings off of my personal favorite wine bottle bag with the felt and ribbon rosettes.  Here is an image to remind you.

Using the same techniques that I address in the Wine Bottle Gift Bag, I made a collection of ribbon and felt flowers for the stockings.  Here is what I came up with...
The little red ball is just that..a ball of leftover
sweater that I stitched together.

I added a little silver bead to this grouping.
 So here are the results...


I am super pleased with my new stockings.  Now my hubby and I will have our own and it's about time! We have been together since 1988.  What took me so long?  Sheesh! 

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my
Day 16
of
25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Ideas and Gifts Series!!

-The End-
Linking this post to:

       
                   
    Photobucket        

11 comments:

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

You are so crafty!! These cute stockings were definitely worth the wait. Who knows what kind of stocking you'd have if you got them in the late 80s :) I'm sure they would not be nearly so fashionable!

I love the use of old sweaters for these great projects. If only I could sew...

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Lesley,

So adorable! You have great ideas!!!

Dee

ANNE said...

Oh such a sweet idea!! I love this :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

these are my favorite so far! i LOVE them!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Very cute! I have sweater leftover from my stocking pillows, and I have been *meaning* to try something like this.

Grammy Goodwill said...

Those look great! Now who is going to fill them for you? hehehe

tofubeast said...

Yay, I knew you would do something cool!! Stockings are so sweet. Can't believe you two didn't have them!! Now what are you going to do with the rest??????? haha

Unknown said...

Ok ...These are so great ! I love this idea.

- KAT -

Gracefully Vintage said...

So Darn Cute.. What a great idea..
(Great Gift Idea too)..
Love the rosettes on top too.
Karryann

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Back again... these stockings are fabulous! Makes me want to scrounge through my closet to find something I could use to make one :)

Lisa Montsion said...

I love the stocking's with the teddy bears on them.

lisa