Monday, December 19, 2011

25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Series : Day 19

Homemade Mercury Glass Ball Ornaments

There are a few tutorials out on the blogs regarding how to make faux mercury glass.  I have been wanting to try it, but I really wasn't wanting to have my first project be on something of any value.  What better way to experiment, but on relatively inexpensive glass ornament balls? 

I grabbed a box of basic clear glass ornaments when they were 60% off at ACMoore.  I also picked up Krylon's Looking Glass Mirror-like Spray Paint and my mini-water bottle. 

The basic idea here is to mist the glass with water and then spray the paint over the bulb.  I started on the inside, which did nothing but waste paint.  So, I started spraying the water and paint on the outside of the ornaments.  Everyone says to let them dry overnight.  I did that, but then realized that for the look I wanted, it was going to take a layering effect. 

You can see how the water makes the mirror paint
bubble up.

Here they are dried after three layers of paint and spritzed water.


I placed them in an arrangement of greens and assorted natural balls, pine cones and such.  I like the little bit of shiny they lend to this arrangement.







After the New Year, I will try and tackle this technique on something else and will bring you the results.  This is a relatively simple process, but I think it takes a little practice.  I had some issues with dripping, which in the end actually lent visual interest to them.  

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my
Day 20
of
25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Ideas and Gifts Series!!

-The End-
Linking this post to:

12 comments:

Chatty Chics said...

Super cute! Good job! I've been wanting to try them as well!
Melody
chattychics.com
PS Come join up with us on Wed for my new Linky party! Giving away $5 Starbucks cards! :)

Unknown said...

I say they look perfect...I love the antique look...that is a good thing. I added a photo to my box tutorial post. Happy Pre-Christmas week !

- KAT -

Twice Nice said...

This is tricky. I did this on some glass containers this Fall, but I wasn't sure I could do the same on the ornaments. So did you continue on the inside of the ball or switch to the outside? They look gorgeous with your arrangenment! Deb

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I have been wanting to try this. Maybe I will actually have time after Christmas! Merry Christmas my friend!

Cassie Bustamante said...

so not to be an idiot, but i am not quite clear- so did you not do the inside at all and just do the outside? i tried this and tried the inside and wasted paint and just left the project alone! ;) help!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Gorgeous, Lesley! I love this technique and have been itching to try it. I'm with the other commentors though, did you decided to paint the outside? Its hard to tell with the photos. I though the technique only worked if you painted the inside of something.

TheCrankyCrow said...

This is my favorite project yet Lesley! I LOVE mercury glass anything - but it's so hard to find the real stuff. I so want to try this....perhaps I'll wait until you try some more and share more tips with us. ;o) (But, ok, I'm dense - how, exactly, do you get the paint on the inside? Take the cap off the top of the bulb and actually spray it through the little hole???) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Lesley,

I've been wanting to try this. Your Christmas blubs look fantastic. Beautiful display!

Merry Christmas!

Dee

refreshrestyle said...

they look great! I tried this on a glass cylinder and did not like the finihed product, but yours is perfect!
debbie

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Very pretty mixed in with the natural elements!

aimee said...

Iv been wanting to try doing mercury glass to you did a fab job xxx

Lisa Montsion said...

I'd love to put these mercury balls up on my tree.

lisa